Tuesday 10 March 2015

Vicar's Kitchen: Veg Box Busting Soup

Dare I say it, we might just speeding out of soup making weather here in the UK. The last few days have been very Spring-like indeed so much so that I am considering digging out something other than the massive woollens I have lived in all winter. However, this being Britain, I'm sure we might have more soup appropriate days to come (even in mid summer!) so I'm sure this little gem of a recipe won't go to waste.

I whizzed up this latest batch of soupy goodness based on a recipe from French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano. It is called Soupe Aux Legumes de Maman and has the added benefit of busting through the best part of the contents of our veg box. Dealing with this seasons glut of veg has been a little tricky and I was beginning to worry that I was forming a long term relationship with two turnips in my fridge. I've also been perpetually looking for recipes to deal with the cabbage glut we have going on so this recipe really does the trick.

This Veg Box Busting Soup is packed full of seasonal veggie goodness and I added a little kick to the French version with some Cayenne Pepper as well as simplifying the method to suit my laziness. It is pretty darn good if I say so myself!

Veg Box Busting Soup

2 potatoes
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 garlic cloves peeled
4 leeks
Half a cabbage
2 turnips
4 carrots
Can of chopped tomatoes
Sunflower oil
2 bay leaves
A pinch of cayenne pepper

  • Peel and chop the potatoes and add them to a pan with the onion and garlic. Cover with boiling water and boil for ten minutes. Drain and set the contents aside.
  • Prepare the other vegetables (except the tomatoes) by shredding them or peeling and chopping into small chunks adding them all to a large pan with a splash of oil. Sweat the veg for five minutes.
  • Add the potato and onion mix to the rest of the veg. Add the tomatoes to the pan along with the bay leaves and cayenne pepper. Cover all the veg with boiling water and simmer until all the veg is tender (about fifteen minutes).
  • Blitz up the soup in a blender and serve.
Enjoy, and may the sunshine continue!





No comments:

Post a Comment